2.23.2007

PUPPIES!

Last night Pickle and I went to visit a potential breeder in Brooklyn. Oh my! We took two trains there after dinner and found ourselves in a crowded little place with toy puppies EVERYWHERE!

This place is kind of like a middle-man where home breeders drop off puppies on Thursdays. Well, we didn't know about this Thursday arrival bit, but now we do. The place seemed very professional and were teaching other people about their puppies and gave them food and other bags to bring home. I was very happy that the pugs were not in the cages in the front with all the barking chiuauas and froufy teacup dogs. Those were so small! I would be so scared I would drop them or step on them. That's why a pug is good for me since it is the biggest of the toy breed.

So, I asked for the female fawn colored ones and after a lot of commotion, a girl brought out 2 little girl pug puppies from the back room! They were so cute! One was bigger than the other and although the littler one was very small (which is what I want -- the smaller the better in my opinion), her coloring was a bit too grey for me. I held the baby one first and she was shaking a little bit so I guess she was scared. She was so small I didn't even know how to hold her! Pickle and I then traded and I held the bigger one who was a beautiful yellow-ish golden with good black markings and a curly tail already (which is a good sign according to my pug research). She was giving the kisses like you wouldn't believe! She loved licking my neck and pawing at my chin. Her little nails didn't even hurt because they were so small. She ended up squirming around, licking, pawing, and SNORTING near my ear! She was perfect! She ended up nibbling on my earlobe, but those puppy teeth didn't hurt one bit. I wanted to bring her home with us right then! However, they don't hold them, even with a deposit, since it is "first come, first served" with these little ones. So, we will go back on Thursday night, hopefully with a car, and hope that the same good one is still there or another good new arrival. We shall see. If they don't have the right Olive, we will wait until the following Thursday. So that's the puppy plan! It was just so nice to hold them and see how big (or small in this case) they really are. She will have to be carried up our steep stairs for a while for sure until she gets bigger.

Tomorrow we are getting the pet supplies we will need which include:
  • piddle pads with a possible litter box tray for them to go into
  • leash, tiny collar, or harness (though those nylon strappy harnesses are not good for a pug's delicate fur and skin)
  • 2 stainless bowls
  • shampoo since those puppies smelled a bit and I will want to wash her shortly after she gets adjusted
  • crate
  • nail clipper or battery operated grinder
  • hair brush
  • treats
  • toys!
  • small sweater or fleece for puppy to go out in the cold (though not necessary, I know. Pickle already explained to me that dogs were meant to be outside and their fur should keep them plenty warm...WHAH??)
So that's the puppy plan. I am so excited and I can't wait and I just hope they have the right Olive come next Thursday. I have already scheduled a vacation day on that Friday so I will have a nice long weekend for the two of us to get to know each other :) Fingers crossed, everybody!

2 comments:

jess-nutt said...

Vacation day?

And you forgot to mention how the tiny one fell asleep in my arms! She loved me.

Anonymous said...

Most dogs are meant to be in cold but not all. Strangely, we ended up with the two breeds who are not. All greyhounds, whippets and Italian greyhounds need coats. And chihuahuas, whether it would harm them or not, would just shake so obnoxiously that it would be impossible to walk them. We are not the owners of hearty dogs. Sigh.