7.16.2007

Blood drawn on morning commute. Totally grossed out by possibilites of bacteria underneath fingernails.

I hate my morning commute with a passion. Today, however, it reached an entirely new level of atrociousness when I was scratched. By someone else other than myself. Who drew blood and did not even notice.

I got on my second train and it was very crowded, but I was determined to not let it get to me and to ignore the situation by reading. I was minding my own business with a perfectly positioned hand on a pole between two other hands listening to my ipod and reading my book The Hidden Life of Dogs (which I highly recommend...I just got to the part about the pugs!) when an older, rotund Asian woman comes barrelling through the crowded train because she sees someone she knows. Upon her arrival, she grabs for the pole in the exact same spot that my hand is on. Her long, sharp, pointy, dagger nails scratch my hand. It startles me and I actually (though I didn't mean to) say "ouch!" I notice the scratch starts bleeding. I look around frantically for any other witnesses, but am at a loss. The woman and her friend start speaking a language that I can't understand, but can definitely HEAR through my headphones. She does not notice my hand, me, that she hurt me, that I said "ouch!" or that she MADE ME BLEED. They chat all the way until the next stop where they get off. I'm still fuming. I can't even begin to try and think about the varying diseases and bacteria that could have been trapped under her fingernail that have now been transfered to ME.

Other than that, we had an amazing weekend. My sister's shower went really well and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Plus, I think she was pleasantly surprised. Especially, in terms of the "games" I forced everyone to play. My parents took us out to many dinners that we could not otherwise afford. I got to see XANADU, my favorite Broadway show now, and favorite movie (I have a very, very strong attachment to Olivia Newton-John's and Gene Kelly's cinematic roller-skating musical masterpiece...um, even that could be an understatement) and Olive finally got to meet her grandparents!

1 comment:

jess-nutt said...

That should read "Olive got to meet her grandparents who fell immediately in love with the little wrinkle face."